Lamb is one of our favorite kinds of meat. For some reason it seems that lamb makes any meal a bit festive. The rich flavor and soft meat give every dish with lamb a certain finesse and refinement. However, the combination with other ingredients and the selection of the right piece of meat – for example leg, rack or fillet – give each dish a different taste sensation. There is always something for everybody!
Lamb is not just tasty. That’s something they want to draw attention to in Europe now. Lots of areas such as grassy plains, mountain ranges, valleys etc. are unsuitable for growing crops, but they are perfectly suited for sheep breeding by small-scale farms. This way, they contribute to the maintenance of the landscape, reduce transportation and increase local autonomy in terms of food production. Sheep farming creates harmony between economy, environment and society. You can find more information on the campaign website of the European Union.
During today’s cooking session we mainly want to work creatively with the green and natural feeling that lamb gives us. That is how we created ‘lamb in the grass’, a recipe for lamb rack with pea puree, shoots, herbs and nuts. A feast for both the eye and the taste buds, while the effort to prepare it is quite limited.
Ingredients for the lamb recipe
- Lamb rack
- 1,5 shallots
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 50 g butter
- 300 g frozen peas
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 35 g cream
- A handful of pistachio nuts
- A handful of almonds
- Shoots (e.g. pea shoots)
- Edible flowers
- Cress (bv. Koppert Rock Chives)
- 2 red chili peppers (seedless)
- 125g full Greek yogurt
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Preparation of the lamb
- Chop the shoots, herbs and the nuts into very small pieces.
- Season the meat and sear briefly on all sides.
- Put it in a roasting pan in a preheated oven of 175°C. It will take about 15 to 20 minutes to cook, depending on how thick the meat is. Allow the meat to rest for 10 minutes after you take it out of the oven.
- Saute the shallot and 2 cloves of garlic with some butter in a high casserole.
- Allow the rest of the butter to melt.
- Add the frozen peas and the chicken stock. Let it simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Put everything in the blender with 35 g of cream and blend at the highest speed.
- Decorate the plate by pouring the pea puree first. Then add the lamb rack and finish with the herbs, shoots and the nuts.
Preparation of the dip sauce
- Put the Greek yogurt in a small dish.
- Chop the mint and coriander and add the herbs to the yogurt.
- Cut the chili peppers into very small pieces and add them to the dish.
- Press a clove of garlic and add it to the yogurt.
- Mix and season with salt and pepper.
We enjoyed a glass of Chianti Classico Brolio 2011, Barone di Ricasole from Tuscany with our ‘lamb in the grass’.
Are you in the mood for another summery dish with lamb? Check out our suggestions for the preparation of leg of lamb on the Barbecue, served with Jerusalem couscous, feta cheese, herbs and salad. More about that recipe can you read here.