Do you have guests coming over and are you not in the mood for long preparations in the kitchen during their visit? Then this panna cotta with rhubarb coulis and red fruit is ideally suited for you, as it can be prepared a day in advance.
I always like to play safe when it comes to classic recipes I have never made before. And safe to me are the recipes of SOS Piet :-). Clear, perfectly in proportion and tasteful. We already have the base for our recipe, but getting the panna cotta out of its mold is another thing. In our little experiment the handy silicon baking molds are clearly winning from the porcelain molds in which the panna cotta obstinately keeps on getting stuck, even after a warm bath.
In order to pimp the panna cotta with some seasonal products, we are preparing an aromatic rhubarb coulis, inspired by Jamie Oliver. The search for rhubarb turned out to be less easy than hoped. It took us three shops to finally get what we needed so we could return home with our red-green treasure. Red fruit and a sprig of mint will later on add some extra color to our dish.
What is needed for the panna cotta?
- 45 g of cane sugar or crystal sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 5 dl of whipped cream (40% fat)
- 1 ts vanilla-extract
- 9 g gelatin
How to prepare the panna cotta?
- Soak the gelatin in water and grease the molds with peanut oil.
- Cook the cream, sugar, vanilla pod and the vanilla-extract. Turn off the heat and stir in the gelatin. Remove the vanilla pod.
- Fill the molds and put them in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
Hint! Prepare the panna cotta the day before to make sure it has sufficiently stiffened.
Source: SOS Piet 3 or VTM Koken.
What is needed for the rhubarb coulis?
- 2 – 3 rhubarb stalks
- 2 ts of fine sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 100 ml cava
How to prepare the rhubarb coulis?
- Cut the rhubarb in big pieces. Cook it with sugar and deglaze with cava.
- Add the cinnamon stick and simmer for about 15 minutes until the rhubarb is soft.
Ready for the finishing touch?
Take deep plates and put the small balls of panna cotta in there. Sprinkle the rhubarb-compote around them and decorate with red fruits and the cinnamon stick.