Between the peaceful rural mountains of South Tyrol there’s a beautiful town called Val Sarentino. It is in this place that chef Heinrich Schneider and his sister Gisela have chosen to develop their Restaurant Terra. Luckily the stunning views of the valley are not the only great thing at Restaurant Terra. Heinrich Schneider wants his guests to taste the magic of the area in his dishes as well. With that in mind, the chef likes to take the authentic flavours of the region into a plate by sharing his recipe for a mouth-watering pasta dish: spaghetti with date tomatoes and fresh herbs. Something you can easily try at home.
Recipe: Spaghetti with date tomatoes and fresh herbs
Ingredients & preparation:
- Ingredients (for 2 persons):
- 170 g peeled Pelati tomatoes
- 230 g ripe date tomatoes
- 10 g shallot cubes
- 1 crushed clove of garlic
- 10 g anchovy fillet from the glass
- 25 g Italian olive oil
- 2 g basil leaves
- 7 g basil leaves roughly chopped
- 5 g oregano leaves finely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and black pepper
- 200 g spaghetti
- grated Parmesan cheese (to sprinkle)
- Boil the date tomatoes in boiling water for few seconds, remove and let cool in cold water.
- Then remove the skin of the date tomatoes and halve it. Set aside.
- Cut the Pelati tomatoes into cubes and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add cloves of garlic with the skin, the basil leaves and let it fry to get a flavored basil oil.
- Remove basil and garlic and add the shallot cubes in the flavored olive oil.
- Add the anchovy fillets and oregano and head with them.
- Add the Pelati cubes and the peeled date tomatoes.
- Season with salt, sugar and pepper.
- Simmer the tomatoes slowly for 15 minutes. Add some water if necessary.
- Cook the spaghetti “al Dente” (cook time see packaging) and add to the tomatoes.
- Add sliced basil leaves and mix it well.
- Season with olive oil, sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and serve.
Read the full reportage about Chef Heindrich Schneider and Terra here.
Recipe: Heindrich Schneider
Photography: Terra Restaurant – Adriaan Van Looy