There were two things we wanted for today’s recipe. First of all, we felt like preparing something with fish, preferably something resembling salmon, but not actual salmon. Secondly, we were looking for seasonal vegetables, but not the typical ones. The outcome? A recipe for trout with kohlrabi sauce.
Trout, kohlrabi and mustard seeds: three top ingredients
Kohlrabi is a wonderful ingredient to start with. Belonging to the family of cabbage, broccoli and Brussels sprouts it is in good company and just as delicious and healthy. Moreover, both the stems and the turnips can be used, so nearly no waste.
Next to the vegetables, trout is the other hero of our recipe. We are able to get hold of two beautiful trouts and decide to fillet the fish ourselves today. The fishmonger will of course be happy to do this for you if you like.
Mustard seed adds the necessary zest to the dish. It’s truly fascinating how such small balls can contain that much flavor.
As you can see there are plenty of reasons to serve this dish with trout and kohlrabi(sauce).
- 2 portions of trout
- 2 kohlrabis (with stems)
- 50 ml buttermilk
- 4 ts of capers (fresh or the bigger kinds in a jar)
- 1 shallot
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 ts mango vinegar
- 2 tbsp roasted mustard seeds
- Black pepper
- Sea salt
- Olive oil
- Cress to decorate
How to prepare?
- Peel the kohlrabi stems and cut into small pieces. Boil them together with the chopped leaves in salted water for about 3 minutes. Keep the water and submerge the vegetables immediately in ice cold water. Allow the leaves to drain and mix them with the buttermilk. Add seasoning and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Add the finely chopped shallots and garlic together with the 3 tbsp olive oil, mango vinegar and capers. Stir well and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Cut the kohlrabi in large pieces and boil it in the water you kept for about 4 to 5 minutes. Submerge in cold water and allow to drain. Now fry the kohlrabi with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake the trout in olive oil.
- Place the fish on top of the cooked kohlrabi. Decorate with green kohlrabi sauce and finish with mango vinaigrette and roasted mustard seeds.